US Waiver FAQ

You can travel to the US with a criminal record, although you may need to acquire a US Entry Waiver. This document allows you to override the decision of border security officers.
A US Waiver, also known as I-192 – Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-Immigrant is an application for those who have become inadmissible to the United States.

A Canadian with a criminal record may need to apply for a US Entry Waiver if they have become inadmissible or cannot apply for a Record Suspension yet because they have not met the eligibility requirements.

A US Entry Waiver allows non-immigrants advance permission to enter the United States temporarily. The United States generally grants US Entry Waiver that lasts from one to five years in length. Once the US Entry Waiver expires, you will need to re-apply. Each time you apply for a US Entry Waiver, a filing fee is payable directly to the United States Government. Since this fee changes from time to time, you may contact the USCIS for the most current fee schedule by calling 1 800 375 5283 or consulting

A US Waiver application takes approximately 12-18 months to complete.
US entry waivers are different from pardons in that there are no set eligibility requirements. Contact 497Cleared to help determine if you are eligible to receive a waiver.
If you are to acquire a US Entry Waiver on your own, it usually takes up to 36 months to acquire; if you complete all of your documentation diligently and accurately on your first try. Failure to complete your documentation correctly or meet all the deadlines will require you to start the process repeatedly.

With help from 497Cleared, you are guaranteed in writing to get your US entry waiver within 12-18 months or in 12 months should you choose our expedited services.
Generally, your US Entry Waiver will last 1, 3 or 5 years. Should you need to renew your US Entry Waiver, you will follow the same process as you did to acquire the initial waiver.
You will need to complete the application package, demonstrating your ability to be a law-abiding citizen and pose no risk to the country during your visit.
You do not require a lawyer, which is known to come with high fees. You can acquire everything you need from the US Customs and Border Protection Agency’s website or consult with 497Cleared for your needs.

You can apply for a passport with a Criminal Record in Canada. However, you should not travel with a criminal record as you may be denied at the border crossing or international airport as they run your information through the criminal database. All countries have specific entry requirements. As their rules change, you can consult the Government of Canada Office and inquire about the country you intend to visit to confirm any requirements.
Your criminal record is not stored in your passport. A Canadian Passport is valuable mainly as proof of citizenship.

When the border guard takes your passport, they are running your ID through the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC). This is where criminal conviction records are stored. If they pull up your information and see that you have a criminal past, they can flag you in their system and deny you trave
The United States is strict when it comes to entering the country with a criminal record. However, if you have been convicted of only one crime not involving moral turpitude, you may not be inadmissible to the United States. Instead, you can bring court transcripts with you when entering the United States if they decide to question you regarding the offence. If you have been convicted of one or more than one crime of moral turpitude, the chances of you being denied are very high.

There are times when the border patrol may warn you that you are inadmissible and advise you to either apply for a Canadian Pardon to remove your records or apply for a US Entry Waiver. In cases where you are not so lucky, the border patrol may flag you in their system and deny you entrance. Once you have been denied and flagged from entering the United States, you will need to apply for a US Waiver (I-192); Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-Immigrant.
Regular US travel waivers are also completed within 12-18 months, with expedited waivers being granted within 12 months.

Still have questions? We’re here to help!

Contact us to get the answers you’re looking for, or to book your free consultation.
Scroll to Top

Request An Appointment